Tuesday, February 24, 2009

90 YEARS YOUNG TODAY!!! MIMI, ANNE'S MOTHER

This last Saturday we celebrated our Mother's birthday in Santa Rosa California. Mimi turns 90 years young today. What a blessing to live that long and still be happy and gracious as ever. It was a wonderful day...she was having a good day. With Alzheimer's one never knows and there were times that day she did not know. Her last name is Eimers...funny how you get a disease with your name in it.
We sang happy birthday to her and she was so happy and gracious about it...scanning the crowd and smiling.


There were 5 cakes and all 90 candles to show off...thank goodness she had the help of some grandchildren and great nieces and nephews..
Mariam, one of her caregivers enjoyed helping her blow them out.

R to L (oldest 64 yrs to youngest 44yrs) John Jr, Peter, my brother Jim, Tom, Mary. Stu, Anne, Jane, Liz, Nancy, Leslie, my sister Janet, Joe and Maggie....
This was one of the highlights of the day...these are some of my first cousins that attended...what an honor to watch each of them take time to sit by my mom and talk with her so gently. My mom got to know all her nieces and nephews over the years and always seem to remember to send a B-day card to them...Another wonderful thing about my cousins we all know each other and enjoy being able to talk and play catch up ... These cousins came from all over just to honor my Mother...CT, OR and all over CA, one of my daughters came from CO...so she must be pretty special to travel that far for!


Over the years one of my Mom's signatures were needlepoint Christmas stockings for everyone. She started in the early 70's and made her last one in about 2000 or 01. (I think she did so out of self defense, my Father was a remote control hog and he always wanted her to watch TV with him) All total she made 133 of them. For all her children, nieces, nephews, spouses, significant others, grandchildren and god children...today there were 77 on display!

Each girl got an Angel and each boy got a Santa, she did a marvelous job on each of them. The comment that I seem to hear most that day was that it really wasn't Christmas till the stockings were hung...they are growing to be more and more special each and every Christmas. Especially when you see all the work represented here.

It was a beautiful day...the rain held off until later that night. Jim, my brother and his spouse Rob put this wonderful tribute to my Mother together and held it in their beautiful home in Santa Rosa. Everyone enjoyed the Day.
So here is to you Mother today on your 90th Birthday. You are a wonderful person and Saturday was certainly a tribute to that!
I love you,
your daughter...Anne

No comments: