Saturday, January 23, 2010

Democrat or Republican?

Democrat or Republican...hum..probably neither. For me it has always been difficult to choose a party side. Since I can remember I could never get the hang of politics because I always felt that they were all a dishonest, manipulative and self serving group. A friend of mine's father held a Supervisor seat for Orange County. They didn't have lots of money or fancy things but he seemed to be a good man, however his counterpart and fellow Supervisor from another district had money and lots of very nice things...then the reality was pointed out...one took and the other one didn't. I asked my friends father one day why he put up with nothing when he could certainly have lots more? His answer was that at the end of the day he had to talk with his Father in Heaven.
At the time I didn't fully understand what all that meant but now I do.
As I watch the politics in this country I am amazed at what goes on. One party talking about the other party and really nothing nice is being said. I would think that we would all want to pull together and work on solutions that were best for everyone. I tend to think on an issue like Health Care Reform that something must be wrong with the bill if we have to bribe Senators to vote on it with pork for their state. If we have to put a push to hurry and get this passed makes me wonder what are we not really looking at that will affect us in the long run...as a kid my parents always said... nothing is free...or if it seems too good to be true don't believe it! These have been good words for me as I question life's challenges. So when we look at this great country of ours do we question enough...do we really want the government in our business, do we think that government can do it all? Another thing my parents taught me is that if you don't have the money don't go into debt...seems logical enough but when we have our country in so much debt that makes me uncomfortable and they want to pass another stimulus bill...wasn't that basic business management 101...if you don't have the money going deeper in debt might not be the answer?
Well it scares me that we are drawing lines in the sand instead of looking to see what is really best and working toward a solution...sometimes the Republicans have it right and sometimes the Democrats have it right but neither side is really willing to look beyond their own party's views enough to say yeah we ALL agree on this!
So that is why I hate politics...kinda like 2 religions arguing over who's God is the best...hum seems to me He is the same...Truth is truth. The Lord is Lord!

No comments: