Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year 2010

So one thing I have decided to pursue this year is some personal development...I am not one to make New Year goals because I think we should be consistently reevaluating ourselves and always adjusting our guide to stay on course...now with that said one of my goals is to write more! I spent most of my school years in the corner because I didn't read well and was not at the same level as the rest of the class...putting what was in my soul/head on paper was so much of a challenge that most of the time I would rather take a poor grade than to attempt exposing my feeble heart. It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I got some help and am now able to sound somewhat intelligent and enlightened on paper. The computer has opened up a whole new world to me and for that I am grateful. Even though the stigma still sticks of being the outcast in the corner I gain confidence each and every day that I am an able and capable person. So this begins my time to write my thoughts and practice transferring my feelings of the heart to understandable words that will touch someone's heart hopefully....someday!

Like I said I spent most of my educational experience in the "slow" group. When I showed up at first grade I thought that the world had just become huge for me. Kindergarten was for babies and now I was a big first grader. It took just a couple of days before I found that my world perception was different than it really was!

My first grade teacher was Sister Eileen Therese...I don't think that she was much older than us...maybe 18 or 19 years old. We expressed our welcomes by putting worms and snakes in her desk drawers...that would be the first of many "nice" things that I would do for my teachers! Although somehow those pesky boys got all the credit, I mean blame, for the shenanigans we all paid the price of losing part of our recess time.

First grade at St. Marys Catholic School was both fun and fearful... being pigeon toed I was put in orthopedic shoes that would help me turn my toes outward and not trip over myself so much...seems right and for the most part the shoes worked the only problem was that they were brown and tan saddle shoes and everyone else got to wear the "normal" color ones of black and white...well as you can guess having to wear uniforms everyone looked alike except for my shoes that stuck out like a sore thumb! Kids are mean, I was timid and lets just say cried a lot for the first few weeks. So I walked funny, couldn't get this alphabet thing down, and yeah kinda had a speech problem and couldn't always pronounce words like everyone else....oh did I mention that kids are mean!

So that is it till I write more of my adventures...

No comments: